Established in the mid 1800s, the railway line only came as far as the Village by 1874, it was the last stop. In order for the railway to through Fenelon Falls and continue north, the village incorporated out of the Township of Fenelon Falls therefore in 1874 the Village of Fenelon Falls became incorporated.
Fenelon Falls is justly proud to be known as "The Jewel of the Kawarthas" since it is located in the centre of the City of Kawartha Lakes. The Falls themselves pour into a limestone gorge known to locals as the Fenelon River. Formerly called Cameron's fall after Duncan Cameron, the village was eventually renamed after Abbe Fenelon, a missionary to the area's First Nation Peoples. Lock 34 on the Trent-Severn Waterway system, this town of close to 2,000 features a quaint downtown core that is steps away from the limestone gorge connection Cameron and Sturgeon Lakes.