Situated in the geographical centre of the City of Kawartha Lakes, Cambray is a quiet, residential village close to Balsam and Sturgeon Lakes. A former First Nations encampment, Cambray was established as a mill site in 1831 which grew into a bustling 19th century community that became incorporated as a village in 1895 named after the Archbishop of Cambrai in France. Today memories of a by-gone era are brought to life by the growing Amish community who have a number of farms in the area and whose horse drawn buggies are often seen on local roads. The flat, quiet country roads also draw cyclists of all ages to the area for competitive events, training and recreational cycling. Cambray's bike shop is the focal point for many cycling events and is so popular within the cycling guild that Cambray is often referred to as "The Cycling Hub of The Kawarthas".