2 Lindsay Street S.
The Academy Theatre was built in the spring of 1892. Designed by architect W. Blackwell of Peterborough, two citizens of the town, R. J. Matchett and Fred Knowlton, spearheaded its building.
When the theatre doors opened in 1893, it was billed as the most technically perfect theatre in Canada. With seating for 900 people, there was one balcony and one dress circle, with VIP boxes on either side of the stage. The stage measured 38 by 44 feet, and the proscenium height was 28 feet. A fly gallery was 22 feet above the stage and a rigging gallery reached 48 feet.